I’m in the middle of a 7-day cleanse right now (and some of you are doing it with me!). And when I say cleanse, I mean a real, whole foods cleanse. It’s not about starvation or deprivation, it’s about re-setting the system with nourishing, whole foods.
I eat really healthy the majority of the time (except when red wine, dark chocolate, and too many almonds sneak their way into my life); I use only non-toxic cleaners, soaps and lotions; I use natural medicine whenever possible; and I haven’t put plastic in the microwave in years! But even I can benefit from a good detox. Why? We are taking in toxins every day. All of us. Not everything in our environments is under our control. I personally find great benefit from clearing my system seasonally, and here are 10 of the great benefits:
- Reduce Inflammation. Toxins need to be flushed out to reduce inflammation and improve digestion. Inflammation is the underlying cause of so many diseases, and even if I don’t have symptoms, I know I need to take care of my body.
- Weight maintenance and weight loss. Without efficient digestion, we struggle to maintain our ideal weight. No one wants to struggle to maintain their weight, or struggle with weight-loss plateaus, and a clean digestive system is just what we need! (You can store 5-10 pounds of toxic waste in your digestive tract…GROSS!)
- Uncover food intolerances. I want to determine which healthy foods might be causing inflammation in my unique body. Almonds, pistachios and walnuts? I sure do love them, but I have a sneaking suspicion at least one of them may not be working for me (hello, acne!).
- Clear Skin. See above. Yikes, when something is going wrong in my body, it’s literally written all over my face! Pay attention, your body is trying to tell you something!
- Sugar cravings. I don’t eat refined sugar, but I still get cravings! Emotions, stress, sweet foods and alcohol can all contribute to crazy cravings, and I like to hit the re-set button!
- Immune system booster. I do all the ‘right’ stuff, but that doesn’t mean I’m immune to colds. Germ bugs are all around us, especially in the winter months when our homes are all closed up. I want to make sure my immune system is as strong as possible to avoid catching every bug that passes through. With 80% of your immune system in your digestive tract, a good cleanse is so worth it.
- Increase energy. When we rid our bodies of the foods and patterning that no longer serve us, we free up a lot of energy! I especially love this in the fall and winter. When the daylight dwindles, I don’t want to lose precious time in the evening because I’m too exhausted to do anything!
- Time to reflect and evolve. Because detoxing is not just about the food. It’s about letting go of behavior that no longer serves you. Detox the feelings, the stressors, the behaviors, and embrace constructive methods of handling what life throws at you.
- Changing habits. Anyone else fall into bad habits they want to change? When you interrupt those patterns for 7 straight days, your likelihood of success in kicking the habit is much stronger. One of mine awhile back was snacking mindlessly at night. Maybe it was a reward, a treat, or maybe it was a coping mechanism for stress. Whatever it was, it had to go! After 7 days, you can easily continue with the momentum. After 21 days, you have formed a new habit!
- Learn your own strength. Power through the moments when you want to give in, and learn the willpower you really have. When you set an intention and follow through, you feel proud of yourself and your accomplishments. Stick to a 7-day whole foods cleanse, learn your power, and decide what you will tackle next!
If you missed out this time, don’t worry, I will be offering seasonal cleanses, as well as having my personalized coaching clients go through a detox as a part of their programs. Cleansing with whole foods and removing potential allergens is an effective and essential key to changing your body, your health and your habits.
If know you are interested in cleansing in January, let me know now and I will add you to the list so you get the details as soon as they are available! Contact me