Ah, busy moms. We need energy to juggle everything on our plates!
The picture below? This is my daughter doing burpees at the doctor’s office. Just because she felt like it. When is the last time you did burpees just because you felt like it? In public? I haven’t either.
But who doesn’t want this kind of energy?
Are you snoozing at your desk at 3pm? Or struggling to stay awake in the evening to enjoy family time?
I’ve been there. For years, I would drive home from my corporate job barely able to keep my eyes open. I thought it was normal. I was eating on the fly, often grabbing sugar and caffeine to make it through the afternoon only to crash by the evening.
Life doesn’t need to be this way! Feeling constantly tired and rundown shouldn’t be anyone’s normal! And it doesn’t have to be.
When I made the 5 changes below, I experienced amazing results. (#1 is a real game-changer, so don’t miss that one!)
And it’s not just me. Almost every client who has gone through my seasonal cleanses or sugar-free challenges always comments on the increase in energy they experience. There is a better way to live! You just need to give your body a fair shot at regulating naturally-high energy levels, and you can do that with these 5 habit changes:
5. Drink Water If you’ve been following me for a while, you have probably heard this one… oh, I don’t know, 50 times? It’s so easily overlooked but SO effective! Drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water per day. You can count caffeine-free herbal teas, but you don’t get to count juice, coffee or soda. Read more about this tip here.
I like to flavor my water with my essential oils to keep the flavor interesting (plus I get therapeutic benefits). Up for a challenge? Make a point to get your water in for 7 days and report back to me. You will be amazed!
4. Reduce caffeine I know, I know, I like coffee too. Here’s the deal though, if you drink too much, you will throw off your body’s hormonal system and set yourself up for blood sugar crashes (ie. your poor body will cry for sugar and caffeine to pick itself back up). Not to mention, caffeine in the afternoon completely interrupts your sleep and results in a cycle of energy peaks and valleys that is difficult to break. Stick to one cup of organic coffee or black tea in the morning. I look forward to my cup! It’s a treat!
If you are a soda drinker, now’s the time to kick the habit. Go for flavored sparkling water or treat yourself to a delicious drink like Kevita once in awhile (my personal favorite!).
3. Eat protein in the morning Ditch the bagels and toast in favor of eggs, plain yogurt with berries, or protein smoothies. When I start my day with a good boost of protein, I have more energy late in the afternoon (and I’m less hungry). Not only does it carry me through the morning, but it affects the whole day!
I am a huge fan of protein smoothies, and I start every day with one. My current favorite concoction is coconut milk, leafy greens, frozen banana, chia seeds, cacao powder, SunWarrior Warrior Blend vanilla protein powder, and a drop or two of my peppermint essential oil. Deliciousness.
Find a protein-rich breakfast that sounds good to you. Experiment for 7 days and note how you feel. That’s the only way you’ll know if it works for you too!
2. Snack smart Pretzels and crackers may be easily accessible and portable, but I promise you, they are doing you no favors in the energy department (or cravings or hunger departments!). Go for raw nuts and seeds with fruit, hummus or guacamole and veggies, protein shakes, a cup of soup, or a hard-boiled egg instead. Give your body the goodness it needs to keep going!
And now, drumroll please…. THE BIG ONE!
1. Ditch the sugar If it sounds too hard, breathe easy. It’s only challenging for the first few days, I promise! And it’s really not that bad. Your taste buds (and energy levels) adjust quickly and the pay-off is BIG!
Kicking sugar isn’t possible if we rely on willpower alone. Let’s face it, willpower only makes it a few days at best. Get my guide here to start you off. I break down 3 simple steps for success, and I take you through every step of the way.
Ditching sugar carries a few other bonuses as well. Not only does your energy go up, but your weight goes down. My clients also experience better sleep, clearer skin and less bloating. The benefits are huge, so I promise you, it’s worth it!
Download my free guide on how to Kick Sugar in 3 Easy Steps here, and I will be with you every step of the way. And I promise I won’t make you do burpees in public places:)