What do you do when you go strawberry-picking and you have a boatload of strawberries? Yes to pie. Yes to chia seed jam (the simplest, healthiest jam around!), and now.. wait for it… YES to Strawberry fruit strips.
Or fruit roll-ups? I’m pretty sure fruit roll-ups are trademarked, so we’ll go with fruit strips:)
I’ve seen similar recipes for YEARS but I never had success in making them. I tried once a couple years ago but basically ended up with a crunchy, burned mess. I think my oven temp was too high.
This time, we perfected it, so I had to share!
Yes, this is time consuming, but it’s all bake time, not hands-on time, so I consider it super-simple.
My kids were excited and thought we should make these all the time! Umm… no, but they are really fun to make with the kids!
Bonus? They get fruit strips without the corn syrup, artificial colors, and artificial flavors that I try to avoid.
Here’s how to make them
- 4 cups berries, cleaned and stems removed
- About 1/4 cup raw honey (I suppose this could vary depending on the sweetness of your berries)
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees
- Add the berries and honey to a blender and blend well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Pour berry mixture onto parchment and smooth to about 1/8 inch thick. (Make sure the edges aren’t thinner than the middle or they’ll get too crisp!)
- Bake in oven until the top is no longer sticky and seems dried through. This took us 4-5 hours but will vary depending on thickness
- With parchment ON, cut into strips and roll up.
- Store in air-tight container
You could try with blueberries too!
What healthy recipes are you making with all your berries this summer? Please, share with me in the comments below! I’m always looking for fun ways to keep these kiddos entertained! 🙂