Red, White and Blue Salsa, or Blueberry Salsa, whichever you like. On the 4th of July, I’m going with Red, White and Blue. I’ve been making this for years and I know I got the original recipe from my cousin, but I’m not sure who to credit beyond that. I’ve made some changes to the original recipe, but like most salsa recipes, you can alter as you’d like and it will still taste amazing!
If you are looking for a fun and unique dip for your BBQ this weekend, this is the one for you! Even my son who doesn’t like blueberries loved it.
You can serve with regular organic tortilla chips or make your own. It would even make a good lunch with some chicken in a lettuce wrap.
Enjoy your 4th of July holiday and let me know if you make this salsa! If you go a little overboard this weekend, you can join me on a free webinar on Thursday, July 9 to learn my top 6 strategies to slim down this summer! Sign up here
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 bunch broccoli (including stem), cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup + water
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium-low heat. Add cumin and cayenne and sauté for one-half minute or until there is a fragrance.
- Stir in lemon juice, broccoli, spinach, salt and water.
- Cover and simmer until the vegetables reduce to a chunky puree (45-60 minutes).
- Check and stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- Add additional water a tablespoon at a time as needed.
- Great served warm or at room temp.