No one is perfect.  I’m not perfect, even when it comes to nutrition, and I know you aren’t either.  Let’s not try to be!  Life is for enjoying.   I truly believe in 90/10 when it comes to food.   I believe this because I’ve tried to eat 100% perfectly.  Sometimes it lasted a few days, sometimes a few hours, but it always ended in failure.  Why?  I was depriving myself of what I really wanted and making substitutions that seemed ‘healthier’.  The substitutions never quite stack up to what I really want and I end up eating what I want in the end anyway.

What I know now is to trust my body and listen to what it is telling me.  And relax.  And indulge in the coconut ice cream once in a while.  (If you haven’t tried Luna & Larry’s Coconut Bliss Dark Chocolate ice cream, it’s ridiculous!  You may not want to start.)

I strive to make healthy choices 90% of the time.  Nutrient-packed foods like fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts and seeds help me maintain energy and feel great throughout the day.  This is how I eat to maintain a healthy weight.  For the other 10%. . . , I allow myself some treats, some foods I just can’t live without (dark chocolate and red wine come to mind).  If you keep indulgences to occasional foods and not every day staples, you can maintain a healthy body while not feeling deprived.

What’s your 10%?