These were sitting on my countertop the other night.
I decided I would attempt another healthy banana bread, but this time make it gluten-free!
I found this recipe which looked good, but it wasn’t gluten-free and I didn’t want to use eggs. So, I altered it a bit and it turned out delicious!
I called it ‘breakfast bread’ instead of banana bread for my kids, because banana bread to them means the Great Harvest bread Grandma always brings. With no refined sugar, mine definitely tasted different. My girls and husband loved it, but Sully was on the fence. 4 out of 5 of us were thrilled with the Saturday morning treat!
This bread is not overly sweet, so if you are used to really sweet breads, you might want to add a little maple syrup, stevia, coconut palm sugar or other sweetener.
Here is the recipe I made:
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil (room temperature)
- 2 flax eggs – 2 tablespoons ground flax mixed with 6 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a loaf pan (I used coconut oil)
- Place medjool dates and hot water in a large bowl and let them soak while you mix up dry ingredients
- Make oat flour by adding 2 cups of gluten-free rolled oats to a high-speed blender and process
- Add baking soda, salt and baking powder to the oat flour and stir to combine
- Process the dates and water with a mixer until no large chunks remain
- Add coconut oil, flax eggs, vanilla and xanthan gum to dates and mix until thoroughly combined
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients until combined
- Fold in bananas
- Pour into greased loaf pan
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes
- Remove from pan and cool completely before cutting
- Store in the refrigerator and enjoy!
This is a truly healthy option that you can feel great about serving your family! When Amelia wanted a second piece, I didn’t hesitate.