Sometimes we are in such a hurry that we resort to the quickest dinner possible. Maybe not the fanciest, most nutritionally optimal meal you’ve ever served, but you can make quick food that is not terrible for you!
Take the English Muffin Pizza. . .not a novel idea, and it can be quite unhealthy, depending on the English Muffin and toppings you choose.
I made this for my kids last week when we were in a rush and I literally could not come up with anything better in 5 minutes.
You know how it is when you’re starving, and if you don’t have food in front of you asap, you will literally inhale the first thing you can get your hands on. (That’s when I start spooning almond butter into my mouth. . . the key is to not let yourself get to that stage of hunger!)
And with kids, you know you’re moments away from an explosion of tantrums. We’ve all been there.
Here was my quick English Muffin Pizza solution:
- Turn your broiler on high
- Slice 100% whole grain or sprouted grain English Muffins
- Place them on a cookie sheet and broil for a couple minutes
- Top with homemade tomato sauce (I had some leftover), or a high-quality organic tomato sauce (check the ingredients for added sugars)
- Spread each with a little organic mozzarella
- Choose healthy toppings – ours were sliced black olives, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes
- Return to the broiler for a couple more minutes until the cheese melts
Served with fruit and veggies, this isn’t so bad for dinner. . .