I am mildly-obsessed with green smoothies. I love them. I make a million variations for me and my kids. They are just such a good way to pack in nutrition! And, honestly, with my schedule, I am not the best at sitting down to eat breakfast or lunch. Smoothies are portable and easy.
I got into putting cinnamon essential oil in my smoothies last fall, and for some reason I stopped. But this week, cinnamon sounded good so I tried it again. And now I have eaten this smoothie 3 days in a row. And I don’t see the trend stopping anytime soon!
Cinnamon is awesome for blood sugar regulation. If you want to avoid those sweet cravings, add cinnamon! I use cinnamon essential oil because it’s easy, and you get greater therapeutic benefit, but if you don’t have any or are serving to small children, use regular ol’ cinnamon instead!
Let me know how you like this one!
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 2-3 handfuls of leafy greens
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen berries
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
- Blend all ingredients until smooth and top with fruit, nuts, seeds and/or coconut.
- Swap 1/4 - 1/2 an avocado for the banana if you are reducing sugar.
- Add a drop of organic stevia or a teaspoon of raw honey if you need more sweetener.
- Swap any nut or seed butter of choice in place of the almond butter.