I found this recipe at Elenaspantry.com, and I modified it to make gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free chocolate muffins. My kids loved them, and unlike some other chocolate muffins, I would be totally fine with my kids eating these for breakfast or snack on a regular basis! They are made with wholesome ingredients, and I know exactly what’s in them– that’s the bonus of baking at home! (And I was able to use up some of the massive quantity of zucchini I have from my garden!)
My kids said these were a definite ‘make again’ treat. I agree, they are yummy! The only change I will make next time is to double the recipe! The recipe below makes 10-12 muffins.
1 1/4 cups blanched almond flour
1/4 cup cacao powder (or carob or cocoa)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp flax meal
6 tbsp water
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup zucchini, grated
If you don’t want to buy almond flour because it’s expensive (like me), you can make your own very easily. I started with raw, whole almonds, but you could make the process even easier and buy blanched almonds!
To blanch almonds:
- Start with a little less than 1 1/4 cup raw almonds in a bowl.
- Pour boiling water over the almonds until just covered.
- Let sit for 1 minute
- Drain and rinse in cold water
- The skins will come right off the almonds when rubbed
- Tedious, but easy. . .
To make almond flour:
- Put dry blanched almonds in food processor and pulse into a flour.
- Be careful not to over-process, you don’t want to end up with almond butter!
- I used my Vitamix for this.
To make muffin batter:
- Combine flax and water in a bowl and set aside to thicken
- Mix almond flour and cacao powder
- Incorporate salt and baking soda into dry mixture
- Add flax mixture, coconut oil, honey, vanilla and zucchini
- I used a hand blender to mix, but you could use your food processor
- Spoon into muffin tins
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes
- The center may not seem completely done, but they will continue to firm up when cooling
- Cool on a wire rack