Okay, here it is, the perfect appetizer to lighten up your holiday party. This might be my favorite appetizer….
It’s a great substitute for sour cream and mayo-based dips. Somehow, cooking down broccoli and spinach results in a creamy, delicious dip perfect for crackers or veggie sticks. I don’t know how it works, but it works!
Finally, a dip you can eat to your heart’s content! My kids even like this.
Make it and I promise you will love it (and never believe it’s just vegetables!).
My favorites to serve with this dip are veggie sticks like carrots and celery, and crackers like Seismark brown rice crackers and Mary’s Gone Crackers.
When your meal is heavy, keep your appetizers light!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 bunch broccoli (including stems), cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup+ water
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Add cumin and cayenne and sauté for one minute or until there is a fragrance.
- Stir in lemon juice, broccoli, spinach, salt and water.
- Cover and simmer until the vegetables reduce to a chunky puree (45-60 minutes).
- Check and stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- Add additional water a tablespoon at a time as needed.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature.