I realized I hadn’t sent a smoothie to school all week, so that is what I decided on for lunch last night. My kids were excited about it! They do really like smoothies, but they may have been just as excited to use a thermos again. It’s all about the packaging.
I tried an apple smoothie and had my kids taste it last night to make sure it was a winner. It was delicious! My husband said it didn’t sound good to him so he didn’t want to try it. I made him take a taste and he agreed it was really good. The cinnamon and vanilla in this smoothie remind me of apple pie. I will definitely be making this again this fall!
Apple Pie Smoothie
- 2 handfuls of greens (Spinach would work well. I used Trader Joe’s Organic Power Greens which is spinach, chard and baby kale I believe.)
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (substitute for other nut or seed butters as needed)
- 1 medjool date, pit removed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of cinnamon (Up to 1/8 teaspoon depending on how much you like cinnamon!)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Ice if desired (especially if drinking this right away)
Blend all ingredients until smooth.
I made a double batch which was the perfect amount to fill three small thermoses and a taste for me!
To this lunch I added a simple salad with spring mix, carrots and garbanzo beans. I put Annie’s Goddess dressing in the favorite squeeze bottles.
Snack today. . .raisins, unsweetened dried cherries and dried apricots.
Have a wonderful weekend!