I love the change of seasons (maybe with the exception of the next one, anyway!). It’s nice to break out of the rut of salads in the summer and into warming foods like roasted vegetables, soups and everything cinnamon. Here are 5 of my fall favorites that I have been buying constantly:
- Organic Canned Pumpkin – Smoothies, granola bars, hummus, muffins . . . who doesn’t love pumpkin in the fall? My son came home from school requesting pumpkin pie yesterday. I guess I will be perfecting a healthy pumpkin pie recipe (unless someone has one to share?)!
- Squash, Squash and more Squash (and Sweet Potatoes!) – My favorite squash varieties are butternut, delicata and kabocha. I cut and de-seed the squash (peel the butternut), and roast in the oven for 30-45 minutes. I make large batches at a time so I can easily pull leftovers out for quick lunches. Leftover squash with sautéed greens and other vegetables makes a delicious lunch. I also make a lot of sweet potato fries, as those are always winners at my family dinner table. I just made them last night, in fact! And because I cut and baked the entire bag of potatoes, we have plenty left over for another meal.
- Broccoli and Brussels Sprouts – Beyond my standard leafy greens that I love to sauté this time of year, my favorite vegetables have been broccoli and Brussels sprouts. I like to roast both of these vegetables. Turn the oven on 350 to 375 degrees, put the broccoli florets or halved Brussels sprouts on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and you can go about your business. 30 minutes or so later your vegetables are done. Carmelized and delicious!
- Persimmons, Pears and Apples – Time to break away from the bananas. For me anyway, my kids still love them! I like to switch up the fruit I eat to what’s in season. My new favorite, which I discovered while in San Diego last fall – fuyu persimmons. You must try them if you haven’t! Sweet and delicious and readily available right now. Of course I’m buying pears and apples too. . .applesauce, baked pears and apples with cinnamon, topped with almond butter, dipped in pumpkin hummus. . . or just eat them plain. (All these fruits are awesome at loosening up baby teeth too, just ask my kids…)
- Tea – Because I’m not much of a coffee drinker. I can’t handle the caffeine! But give me a warm cup of tea and I am a happy woman. When the weather cools, I drink tea all day long. It’s a staple for me to bring to the ice skating rink so I stay warm! With three kids in skating, this is essential. And I need variety, so I am always trying new ones. I have some green tea in the morning, and cinnamon, peppermint, apple cinnamon and chamomile anytime. Peppermint is especially good after meals to aid digestion.
Need ideas on how to use my fall favorites? Leave me a comment or send me a message. I have a lot to share!
What are the fall foods you look forward to all year?