When you think of the holidays, do you think of stress, weight gain and willpower?
Or do you think of family, fun and savoring some of the most delicious and nostalgic foods of the year?
I hope it’s the latter. If you are in the first camp, apply these 5 simply steps and you will enjoy the holidays without ringing in 2016 with regrets.
- Start the day off right. Drink 2 cups of water before your coffee and eat a healthy breakfast. Eggs, protein smoothie, chia seed bowl, oatmeal…whatever sounds best to you, but make sure to kick the day off right and you will be more likely to continue on that path.
- Choose 1 treat per day. No, don’t have the pie and the wine. Choose one or the other. And savor it! No guilt. And remember, you get to choose another treat tomorrow.
- Prioritize sleep. Yes, exercise is important, but if you’re down to 5 hours, I would choose sleeping the extra hour over fitting in 5am boot camp. With little sleep, you will crave more food for more energy and it all tends to head the wrong direction.
- Eat before the party. Don’t ‘save up’. It never works. I’ve tried and failed at that game many times.
- Drink ½ your body weight in ounces of water per day. This will help with hunger, cravings, water retention from holiday goodies, and more. Decaf herbal teas are fine to count towards the total (as long as they aren’t dehydrating teas). Drink up!
Now, I realize these choices might not always be easy. Choosing the pie OR the wine may prove to be difficult, but if you keep your goals in mind and focus on family and friendships, you’ll do just fine (or maybe you’ll opt for a 1/2 serving of each:) ).
Don’t miss my daily healthy habit on Facebook! Check in daily to see what simple tidbit you can add in to make healthy living your way of life.