Hydrating, cooling, what’s not to love? If you follow me on Facebook you know two things: 1. My air conditioner was broken over the hottest days of the summer so far and 2. I am inundated with cucumbers from my garden. Which is actually awesome for me because I love them and I’m saving the $1.99/pound that my co-op is currently charging.
Yes, you can slice and dice them for salads and sandwiches all day long, but there are other fun ways to eat cucumbers too. This week I wanted to share what I’m doing with all these cucumbers! (Those small veggies in the picture above that almost look like onions are lemon cucumbers!)
Here are 5 fun ways to use them:
- Piped with Hummus. Got a party coming up? Or want to impress your kids? Slice cucumbers into 1 ½ inch thick slices. Hollow out the seeds with a small spoon or measuring spoon (I use the ¼ teaspoon) being careful to keep the bottom intact. Spoon hummus into a ziptop bag, cut off one of the corners, and pipe into the cucumber slices (or use a pastry bag with a star tip if you’re into cake decorating!). Sprinkle with fresh herbs or paprika and pine nuts for extra points in presentation.
- Spiralized in a salad. I seriously use my spiralizer all the time! It’s making my summer salads so much more fun!
- In ACV (apple cider vinegar). My family’s favorite… place sliced cucumbers in a bowl, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and pour in raw apple cider vinegar. Let the cucumbers marinate for a minute and enjoy. Bonus on this one…my 91 year-old grandma swears ACV is one key to her longevity and good health. I like Bragg’s raw apple cider vinegar (you need to buy raw for the enzyme benefits).
- In a drink. Throw one in a smoothie, juice it, or add cucumber slices to your water for spa-like flavor. I know you can find a cucumber cocktail recipe very easily too if you’d rather. I love putting cucumbers in my smoothies.
- As a salad dressing base. I made this one two years ago when we had a similar influx of cucumbers. Still love it! Alternatively, if you love Greek food, use them to make tzatziki sauce!
We are eating 3-4 cucumbers per day, but pickles may be this week’s adventure to preserve some… I will keep you posted on my Facebook page!
Share your favorite cucumber uses with me in the comments below!