It’s the Super Bowl on Sunday, so I thought I’d give you some ideas of healthier alternatives to serve or bring along to your party.
I believe in enjoying great food, so there’s no reason to just eat the celery off a plate of chicken wings and feel deprived and bummed that you are ‘sticking to your healthy eating plan’. There are a lot of delicious options that you can eat and still honor the goals you’ve set for yourself.
Of course veggies and hummus is always an easy choice, but here are 10 other ideas:
- Guacamole. Forego the mayo or sour cream-based dips in favor of a healthier fat! Avocados are awesome for you, and making guacamole is super simple. Bonus, avocados are always on sale around big party times! I love using a drop each of lime and cilantro essential oils for even more intense flavor. I serve with veggies and organic tortilla chips (so I don’t over-do the chips).
- Spinach and Broccoli Dip. This is another way to enjoy delicious dip without using mayo or sour cream. You will not believe how creamy spinach and broccoli get when cooked down. Recipe here.
- Crockpot Shredded Chicken. This is one of my favorite ways to cook chicken. Add 2-3 pounds of chicken breasts to a crockpot with 1/2 cup chicken stock, sea salt and pepper (and any other favorite seasoning) and cook on high for 3-4 hours. Shred with a fork and you have a healthier meat for serving in sandwiches. The other day I used 1 can of tomato sauce, 1/4 cup tomato paste, 1 tablespoon each apple cider vinegar, honey, dry mustard, chili powder, paprika, and cumin, a generous pinch of red pepper flakes, and a teaspoon each of onion and garlic powder. Great variation that my whole family loved!
- Veggie Chili. It’s February, so chili is a great choice! Soups and chilis are perfect for parties because you don’t have to worry about timing. You can keep them on the stove over low heat or in a slow cooker. This is my favorite recipe for veggie chili (I know there are so many variations out there!). Recipe here.
- Roasted Sweet and Spicy Garbanzo Beans. No one will expect to see these, and they will be surprised with how good they are! Drain and rinse 2 cans of garbanzo beans, mix with 1 1/2 tablespoons melted coconut oil, 1 teaspoon each coconut sugar, cumin and paprika, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder and cayenne. Roast on a baking sheet at 425 degrees for 35-40 minutes, removing to stir a couple times.
- Spiced Roasted Nuts. Instead of buying the pre-salted and roasted varieties, make your own healthier by buying raw nuts and using coconut oil and roasting them yourself! You can use a similar recipe as above (but you won’t need to roast them nearly as long, or you can use lower heat).
- Popcorn. Make it yourself in coconut oil and add sea salt for a simple crowd-pleaser, or make an unexpected sweet recipe like this one.
- Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookies. Intense flavor without the grains! And quick and easy to make. Love peanut butter? Try that instead of the almond butter. Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Raw Cookie Dough Bites. These homemade ‘Larabars’ are so simple to make and everyone always loves them. This is a great alternative to using sugar for a sweet treat! Recipe here.
- Peppermint Brownies. You can choose to tell everyone you made them with black beans or just keep it to yourself. No one will know! Recipe here.
What are you going to make on Sunday?